KeyServer is a client-server solution for managing and sharing software licenses used by ITS personnel. The server component is co-managed by our Windows Server Team (MENSA) and PC Support. The Keyserver holds team workstation (Windows/Macintosh) information and information about what software is licensed for use by each team. The PC Support software group administers this information.
ITS Team members can run any of the software licensed for the their team. When a Keyserved program is launched, a license is "checked-out" from the Keyserver and when the application is closed, the license is checked back in. In this way ITS ensures that it never uses more copies of an application than it is legally licensed to use.
The Keyserver client software for Windows is installed and updated automatically on ITS Windows workstations via Active Directory Group Policy. The client software is installed manually on ITS Macintosh computers. Please open a ServiceNow ticket with PC Support to get the Keyserver client updated or installed on your ITS Mac.
ITS Keyserver software if for software that is individually purchased and that has Keyserver compatible licenses. There is no need to report on Keyserver applications that are licensed for the entire campus such as Microsoft Office or on products that are available for free use by anyone such as open source, freeware, or creative commons applications.
ITS Team Leads are responsible for:
- Notifying PC Support when your team gets new Windows or Macintosh computers. Please open a ServiceNow ticket to PC Support and provide the TCP/IP hostname (ie: <something>.ucc.nau.edu) of all new workstations for your team. You don't need to inform PC Support of computers being removed from your team. We will see them become inactive on the Keyserver and will remove them.
- Keeping local proof of purchase for all software purchased for their teams. When your team acquires new software that needs to be Keyserved, please open a ServiceNow ticket to PC Support that contains:
- The number of licenses purchased
- The exact product name
- The specific edition
- The version number
- The software platform (Win/Mac/Both)
- Any Product ID, or Activation Code required to identify that specific license and run that software.
PC Support maintains this Keyserver information webpage where ITS Team leads can look up their team's software license information (secure login required).
If Keyserved software isn't working as expected, please contact PC Support.
To Use This Service, You Will Need
This service is for Information Technology Services personnel only.