Information Technology Services can now better support the NAU community through the use of two cutting edge tools, designed to help manage computer software and hardware. Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is used to manage NAU-owned Windows machines and Jamf is used to managed NAU-owned Macs. Both tools allow ITS to remotely deploy and update software, configure system and security settings, and collect hardware inventory on NAU-owned computers.
Benefits of Jamf and SCCM:
- ITS can better manage security settings to keep you and your device secure.
- Both JAMF and SCCM manage software updates automatically.
- Hardware inventory can be collected on NAU-owned machines.
- You can download software to your machine directly from the Self Service / Software Center application.
What information do these tools collect?
JAMF and SCCM collect hardware specifications, installed applications, operating system, available updates, security information, and login timestamps.
***These tools do NOT collect personal information, such as browser history, email, or document information on your machine.
What does ITS do with the information Jamf and SCCM collect?
This information provides insight into the status of NAU-owned computers so ITS can keep your computer up to date and running smoothly.
How are these tools installed?
- New machines come with Jamf and SCCM already installed.
- The tools can be installed remotely and in the background with no interruptions to users.
- If the tools cannot be installed remotely for whatever reason, an ITS staff member will schedule a time to install the tool in person.
- Mac users can download the tool themselves from the following link: https://jamf.ucc.nau.edu:8443/enroll/
How can I tell if Jamf and SCCM are installed on my computer?
On a Mac:
- Open your Applications folder.
- Look for an application called Self Service. If you see this application, Jamf is installed.
- If you do not have Jamf installed, you can download the application from the following link: https://jamf.ucc.nau.edu:8443/enroll/