Hiring non-resident aliens

Work authorization
Visas and other documents

Northern Arizona University verifies employment and payments for non-resident alien employees and scholarship recipients, based on the immigration laws of the United States.

This information in no way should be construed to be the rendering of legal or immigration advice. Each reader of this publication is responsible for determining the extent to which the information presented in this publication is appropriate to his or her situation. You should consult with qualified immigration counsel in assessing your legal obligations.

New hire process

Social Security number

If the new employee does not have a Social Security number, he or she must apply for a Social Security card.

To obtain a Social Security card, the hiring department will need to work with the Center for International Education (CIE) to complete the Social Security Number Request form.

The new employee must take the completed form, his or her passport, and SEVIS form to:

Social Security Office
2715 W. Woodlands Blvd.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Learn more about visas

Employment eligibility verification

Human Resources must verify employment eligibility. The new employee needs to present:


Center for International Education
PO Box 5598
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5598
Phone: 928-523-2409
Fax: 928-523-0515

United States Immigration and Naturalization Service
2035 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Phone: 602-379-3122

United States Social Security Administration
1257 Woodlands Blvd
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Phone: 800-772-1213