Supplemental Retirement Plans

Understanding Your Supplemental Retirement Options

Supplemental plans allow you to save extra money for retirement. 


The university offers two types of supplemental retirement plans.


All university employees (full-time, part-time, hourly, or temporary) are eligible to participate in the 403(b) plan and the 457(b) plan.

Contribution limits

You can contribute up to the IRS annual maximum each calendar year to each plan. For 2016 the contribution maximum is $18,000


Catch up contributions
  • If you are age 50 or older you can make catch-up contribution of an additional $6,000 each calendar year for and annual maximum of $24,000. 
  • Both plans also allow additional catch-up contributions provisions.  To find out if you are eligible to make these additional  catch-up contributions, contact your supplemental retirement plan vendor directly. 
Note: Contributions to the 457(b) plan must be coordinated with any other 457(b) plans. 


While you are an active employee, you are not allowed to access your account except for the reason of 'Hardship' as defined by the IRS.


Typically you can borrow between $1,000 and $50,000 per plan. The amount you can borrow depends on your account balance available for loans. 


  • You may only have 1 general loan and 1 home loan at a time at a time
  • Loans may only be taken from your accounts with the plan's active investment managers Fidelity and TIAA CREF

Compare supplemental retirement plans


 403(b) Tax-Deferred Annuity Plan  457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan  
Investments Your contributions can be invested with:
  • Fidelity
Your contributions are invested with:
  • Nationwide Retirement Solutions.
Enrollment and changesYou enroll and make changes through the Fidelity website.
  • You enroll online through the State of Arizona Deferred Compensation website.
  • You make changes through LOUIE Self Service.
Distributions Once you leave the university system you may request a distribution.
  • Distribution taken prior to age 59 1/2 that are not rolled over maybe subject to taxes and penalties.
  • Contact your investment manager to request a distribution.
Once you leave the university system you may request a distribution.
  • There is no early withdrawal penalty, however, distributions are subject to taxes.
  • Contact your investment manager to request a distribution.