- BS Biology, University of Minnesota, 1980
- MS Botany, University of Wisconsin, 1985
- PhD Ecology, Evolution and Behavior, University of Minnesota, 1991
Areas of research interest and expertise
- soil ecology
- stoichiometry of mycorrhizal symbioses
- ecosystem restoration
- cooperation and mutualism theory
Current research and training grants
Soil Ecology Lab
Dr. Johnson is the Director of the Soil Ecology Lab, where soil organisms' response to the environment and their effects on plant communities and ecosystem properties are studied.
- ENV 230 Foundations of Environmental Science: Humans and the Environment
- BIO 326 Ecology
- ENV 326 Environmental Ecology
- BIO 471, BIO 578, ENV 471, ENV 571 Microbial Ecology
Undergraduate Mentoring Program
This 12-month scholarship-mentoring program helps undergraduates from diverse backgrounds excel in the life sciences.
Meet one of our scholars
Colleen Cooley, who is featured in this piece, was one of our UMEB/URM scholars.
About the director
"The Undergraduate Mentoring program is all about trying to increase workforce diversity among environmental biologists," says program director Nancy Johnson. "Historically, the field has been pretty monoculture. This program tries to increase participation among underrepresented populations.”
Read more about director Nancy Johnson.
Program wins grant
Northern Arizona University has won a $700,000 federal grant to help Native Americans and other underrepresented students do scientific research. ‘It funds undergrads to work with faculty mentors on cutting-edge research,’ said Nancy Johnson, an ecologist who founded and directs the program.
Read more about the grant.
Nancy Collins Johnson, Professor
Physical Sciences, Bldg. 19
PO Box 5694
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Curriculum Vitae (including publications)