Information Technology Services is proud to announce the availability of a new type of desktop computing for NAU faculty and staff: The GreenPC Thin Client. Spurred by the President’sinitiative on Environmental Sustainability, we have engineered a desktop computing solution that has these benefits:
Watch this video to learn more about GreenPC Thin Clients.
- Lower cost than a traditional PC—approximately $300 without a display
- Takes very little space on your desktop—about the size of a paperback book
- Uses under 7 watts of electrical power, more than 10 times less than a typical desktop computer
- Totally silent in operation, no fans, no spinning hard drives
- Super-fast startup and shutdown—ready to work in less than 15 seconds
- No moving parts mean a longer expected working life—5-Year Warranty, 7-year expected working life
- Runs Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office 2010 for a productive and compatible computing experience
- Your documents are stored securely on ITS servers and are backed-up automatically
Try Before You Buy
If your department is interested in using GreenPC thin clients, ITS has several available as loaner systems that you can use in your department to ensure that the thin client is a good fit for your departmental needs. Call the Solution Center at 928-523-1511 to arrange a loaner for your department. ITS Thin clients can be purchased directly via the Dell Premier web site once you are comfortable that they will meet your department’s needs.
We recommend the GreenPC thin client only for basic information workers that don’t need access to specialty software or multi-media intensive applications.
The ITS Thin Client will work best in the following environment:
- A location with high-speed, wired access to the NAU network
- An application that requires no more than two displays (GreenPC thin clients now support dual displays for an extended Windows desktop)
- A workflow that requires access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Outlook, Communicator and web-browser-based applications only. The software available on the Thin Client is fixed; you cannot add or remove applications.
- If you access an application through a Web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) without running an installer, it should work fine on a Thin Client. If you need to run an installer before you first use the application, it will not.
- You will be able to access MyNAU, Louie / Peoplesoft, Advantage Financials, Business Objects Reporting, Blackboard WebCT, Blackboard Vista and many, many more.
- The Thin client has no floppy or optical (CD – DVD) drive. Your documents can be easily copied to a USB flash drive if you need to keep a local copy or transport them between computers.
- You have modest needs for video. The Thin Client can play most Internet video but will not perform well with high resolution video or in full-screen mode.
- No multimedia accessory support. – Thin clients do not support Enterprise Voice, web-cams, USB microphones or other accessories that require multimedia input or custom driver installation. A Thin Client can participate in web conferences but would not be a good choice as a host for one.
- If printing is required, your department must have a nearby networked printer. Thin clients do not support locally attached printers.
How to Request
Please call the Solution Center at 928-523-1511 to request an evaluation unit. Once you are certain that a GreenPC thin client will work well for your department's workflow, you can purchase them directly with your P-Card via the NAU Dell Premier page.
Requires a location with a high-speed wired connection to the NAU network.
Cost / Pricing
A complete GreenPC Thin Client system including keyboard, mouse, 19-inch widescreen monitor, 5-year warranty, and 3-year software maintenence costs under $475 before tax.
If you already have a monitor (VGA or DVI), or wish to buy a different size, a GreenPC Thin Client without a monitor, including keyboard and mouse, 5-year warranty, and 3-year software maintenance costs under $300 before tax.
We expect an under $40 per unit one-time charge in year three of ownership to extend the software maintenance to the end of its warranty period. No other ongoing service charges apply.
Here are some downloadable resources for the GreenPC Thin Client:
Virtual computing environments at NAU save energy, maintenance, and time. Discover how to connect remotely through thin clients or your computer to remote servers and networks.
ITS Green PC Thin Clients can use a special adapter cable to enable two monitors positioned side-by-side to provide the user with a larger Windows desktop stretched across both monitors. This document provides instructions for selecting and using dual displays on the ITS GreenPC Thin Client.