Additional Network Ports in your Dorm Room

If there are three or more people living in your dorm room and you need more Ethernet ports, please ask your Residence Hall front desk to supply a mini-hub to you.

If your Ethernet port is connected to a white wireless router hanging on the wall of your dorm room and you need to use that Ethernet port, please do not unplug the Ethernet cord. This will degrade the wireless signal for you and everyone around you. Instead, please contact the Student Technology Center so that we can arrange for an Ethernet port to be installed in your room.

Otherwise, if you need access to more than one Ethernet port in your residence hall room, purchase an Ethernet mini-hub or switch, not a router. Unlike wireless routers, mini-hubs and switches do not broadcast a wireless signal and will not interfere with with NAU's wireless network. Hubs and switches can be found on or any computer electronics store.

Here is an example of what an Ethernet hub or switch looks like:



Related Services

Available to studentsAvailable to facultyAvailable to staff

ResNet, or Residential Network, provides a high-speed Ethernet and wireless connections to every student living in the residence halls of Northern Arizona University.