Accessing a Shared Email Mailbox
Accessing a Shared Email Mailbox
Accessing a Shared mailbox Directly via Outlook Web Access (OWA)It is recommended that a shared mailbox be accessed from http://iris.nau.edu/owa/[preferred alias] because the "From/Reply to" address on emails sent from the shared mailbox is automatically set to the shared mailbox address when accessing it via OWA. The "Sent Items", "Deleted Items" and messages filed in folders are available also to all current and future users of the shared mailbox.
About accessing a shared mailbox from Outlook When accessing a shared mailbox from an individual user's Outlook or Entourage profile, the "From:" address defaults to the individual's address, not the shared mailbox address. This means that replies to messages sent by the individual will go to their individual mail inbox NOT the shared mailbox by default. "Sent Items" and "Deleted Items" will also be stored in the individual user's folders, NOT the shared account. It is possible to manually update the "From:" address on each outgoing message, and to drag and drop messages from "Sent Items" in the individual's folder to the shared mailbox folder, but not recommended since it requires the user to do this manually for each and every message. PLEASE BE SURE ALL USERS OF THIS SHARED MAILBOX UNDERSTAND THIS DESIGN BEHAVIOR.
Opening a shared mailbox from your personal Outlook Web Access (OWA) Page
- Log in to OWA as you usually would by going to http://iris.nau.edu/owa and entering your NAU username and password
- Once OWA has loaded, in the upper right corner of the screen, click the down-arrow next to your name and choose the “Open Other Mailbox” option
- Type in the first few letters of the shared mailbox display name, and click the Open... button. A list of matching shared mailboxes will drop down.
Accessing a Shared Mailbox from Windows Outlook 2007 and 2010
- In Outlook 2007 choose Account settings from the Tools menu. In Outlook 2010, pull down the File menu, choose Info, then Click on the Account Settings Button and choose Account Settings...
- In the window that opens, Select your Exchange account, and click the Change button
- Click the More Settings button:
- Click the Advanced Tab, and then click the Add button:
- Select the mailbox you wish to connect to, and click OK
- Finish up by clicking OK > Next > Finish > Close.
- That's it! The shared mailbox has been added and will appear under the folder list in Outlook.
Opening a Shared Mailbox from Outlook 2011 for Macintosh
- From Outlook 2011 go to the File menu and choose Other User's Folder... from the pop-out.
- In the Panel that opens, choose Type: Inbox from the popup then click on the directory look-up icon on the right
- In the Directory browser, type in the first few letters of the name of the shared mailbox, then click the Find button.
- Browse the resulting list, click on the specific shared mailbox you want to open and then select OK.
- Select OK a second time to the Open Other Users Folder... dialog and the shared mailbox will then appear on Outlook's left sidebar.
Shared mailboxes enable a group of people to share responsibility for receiving and/or sending email on behalf of an NAU department, project, program or other organization.
Information and resources for Email at NAU.