K. Laurie Dickson, PhD
PhD Developmental Psychology, University of Utah, 1994
MA Developmental Psychology, San Francisco State University, 1990
BA Psychology, Hamline University, 1988
Dr. Dickson's current scholarly interests include the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL), global education, and environmental sustainability. Within the realm of scholarship of teaching and learning, Dr. Dickson, in collaboration with colleagues, designs, implements, and publishes research examining the effect of course redesign, student learning aids, crib cards, and exam format on exam performance and student learning. Her work on global education includes the development of study abroad opportunities for psychology students and the internalization of psychology as a discipline. In addition, she participates in scientifically examining the reciprocal relationship between human behavior and the natural environment relative to environmental sustainability.
- Dickson, K. L. & Treml, M. M. The link between assessment and scholarship of teaching and learning in R. A. R. Gurung and J. A. wilson (Eds.) Doing the Scholarship of Teaching Learning: Measuring Systematic Changes to Teaching and Improvements in Learning.
- Demir, M., Birkett, M., Dickson, K. L., & Miller, M. D. (2013). Solving Problems through Psychology: Science and Application. cognella Academic Publishing.
- Dickson, K. L. (2012). The hallmark of psychology: Science and application. Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Dickson. K. L. (2012). Critical Analysis: Crib card use in college classrooms. Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- McCarthy, S. N., Cranney, J., Dickson, K. L., Trapp, A., & Karandashev, V. (Eds.). (2012). Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Birkett, M., & Dickson, K. L. (2012). Teacher's Guide: The Power of Habit - Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. New York: Random House.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011). Multiple-choice and short answer exam performance in a college classroom. Teaching of Psychology.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011) Crib card use during tests: Helpful or a crutch? Teaching of Psychology
- Wayment, H. A. & Dickson, K. L. (2008). Increasing student participation in undergraduate research benefits students, faculty, and department. Teaching of Psychology, 35 (3), 194.
- Dickson, K, L., Devoley, M. S. & Miller, M. D. (2006). Effect of Multiple-Choice Exercises on Multiple-Choice Exam Performance in Introductory Psychology. Teaching of Psychology, 33 (1), 40-43.
- Dickson, K. L., & Bauer, J. J. (2008). Do students learn course material during crib card construction? Teaching of Psychology, 35 (1), 1-4.
- Dickson, K, L., & Miller, M. D. (2006). Effect of Crib Card Construction and Use on Exam Performance. Teaching of Psychology, 33 (1), 39-40.
- Dickson, K, L., & Miller, M. D. (2005). Authorized Crib Cards Do Not Improve Exam Performance. Teaching of Psychology, 32 (4), 229-232.
- Dickson, K, L., Miller, M. D., & Devoley, M. S. (2005). Effect of textbook study guides on student performance in Introductory Psychology. Teaching of Psychology, 32(1), 34-39.
- Dickson, K. L., & Jenkins, C. (2001). Instructor's Manual to Accompany Santrock's Life Span Development (8th ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Messinger, D. S., Fogel, A., & Dickson, K.L. (2001). All smiles are positive, but some are more positive than others. Developmental Psychology, 37(5), 642-653.
Dr. Dickson teaches Psy 411 - Conservation Psychology: Psychology for a Sustainable Future, Psy 101 - Introduction to Psychology, Psy 240 - Developmental Psychology, Psy 340- Child and Adolescent Development, Psy 633 - Graduate Developmental Psychology, and Psy 665 - Graduate Teaching Practicum.
Dr. Dickson's involvement with teaching extends beyond the classroom, as she chairs master's committees, serves on master's committees, directs independent studies, supervises research experience, and mentors countless students.
Dr. Dickson was honored to receive the NAU President's Award for Faculty in 2011 and the Outstanding Teacher of the Year award in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences in 2000.