Associate Professor and Director of the VisualDESIGNLab
Blg COM 16 Rm #333
Northern Arizona University
Personal web page
Research and teaching interests
Patricia has been working as a designer, art director and creative director for the past 20 years in Chicago, San Francisco, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and Flagstaff. At NAU, she has been working with student in the VisualDESIGNLab, providing high quality design services for clients in the university, public agencies and non-profit organizations. “I believe my role, as a design educator is to inspire, collaborate, guide and facilitate the student’s learning process.”
VC 101 Communication Design
VC 329 Typographics 1
VC 330 Typographics 2
VC 333 Graphic Design 3
VC 370 VisualDESIGNLab
VC490c Senior Project
Representative research and creative activity
2011–2012 SBS Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2009–AMERICAN DESIGN AWARDS. 3RD PLACE: LOGO category Logo design for PINE FOREST School
- 2008-09–DESIGNFIRMS GRAPHIC AWARD. Logo Design for REDDOOR Acupuncture
- 1999–THE SAN FRANCISCO SHOW 13. MERIT. Category: Stationary. Design of the Aquium Business System
- 1999–ADDY AWARDS. BEST OF DIVISION. Interactive design category : www.aquium.com
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Murphey, P.A. "Notes from the Runway--Branding a Fashion Show", in Chapter 4 of: Everett, J.C., & Swanson, K.K. (in press). Guide to producing a fashion show (3rd Ed.). New York, NY: Fairchild Books.
- Murphey, Patricia. “Students Brand a County: A Case Study of the Process of Branding a Public Agency” in Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, Common Ground Publishing. Date TBA
- Murphey, Patricia. “Practical Learning in the Visual Design Lab: Designing for Clients in an Undergraduate Academic Environment” in Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, Journal Volume 4, Issue 5, July 2010, Common Ground Publishing.
- “Students Brand a County: A Case Study of the Process of Branding a Public Agency” at the 5th Annual International Conference on Design Principles & Practices, Rome, February 2011. Paper presentation.
- “Practical Learning in the Visual Design Lab: Designing for Clients in an Undergraduate Academic Environment” International Conference on Design Principles & Practices, Chicago, Illinois, February 2010. Paper presentation.
- “Students Brand a County” at the Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 2011.
- “Practical Learning: Designing For Clients In An Academic Environment” at the Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 2010. Paper presentation.
- “Preparing for the “Real World” – Student’s Portfolio Design and Client work experiences in the Graphic Design program at Northern Arizona University” at the Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 2006. Co-authored paper presentation with Associate Professor of Visual Communication, Rodrigo de Toledo
Links of interest
AIGA.org (American Institute of Graphic Arts)
icograda.org (International Council of Graphic Design Associations)
MFA, Academy of Art University. San Francisco, CA
BFA, Faculdade da Cidade. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil