Bike Safety Tips
Flagstaff has a wide range of weather, conditions, and
biking opportunities. Keep yourself and others safe by being aware of your
surroundings and following these tips.
If riding at
night, you are required to equip your bike with the following:
- a headlight with a white light, visible from a
distance of at least five hundred feet
- a rear red reflector or light, visible from fifty to
three hundred feet
- for added safety, two white or yellow side
reflectors, visible from both
sides, are recommended
in inclement weather, be aware of:
- increased stopping distance (wet rims reduce braking
- decreased visibility for yourself and other motorists
- increased pedestrian traffic, which makes riding more
approaching turning motorists, make eye contact, but don't assume they see you.
Be prepared to yield, even if you have the right-of-way.
gear, particularly a helmet and brightly colored clothing.
Do not wear
headphones. They reduce your ability to hear surrounding traffic.
Respect other road users
and be considerate of them.
Know where you are going
and how to get there. A thoughtful route selection can save you time and