Goal and Vision of The Academy
The major goal of the Academy is to empower students to develop academic, emotional, interpersonal, citizenship, leadership and life long learning skills, in order to achieve personal growth and life success. Students learn to embrace their own identity and respect others while living in two worlds.
The Academy’s objectives strive to 1) Preserve and enhance the pre-college bridge program that provides additional preparation for students who otherwise may not be fully prepared to succeed in post-secondary education, and 2) Encourage students to embrace their personal values regarding their history and environment.
The Nizhoni Academy summer enrichment program which focuses on:
- Recruiting traditionally underrepresented students (low income, rural communities and first generation college bound);
- Enhancing the Academy to provide additional preparation for students who otherwise may not be fully prepared to succeed in post-secondary education;
- Providing a 5-week summer enrichment program for high school students on the NAU campus to experience collegiate life;
- Providing a STEM based curriculum; and
- Ensuring a successful transition from high school to post-secondary education.