Domestic Partner Health Care Coverage


Currently the university offers health care coverage to qualified same sex and opposite sex domestic dependents (domestic partners and the children of domestic partners). 
Effective January 1, 2015 the university will no longer offer opposite sex domestic dependents health care coverage. Health care coverage will still be offered to same sex domestic dependents.

Determine if your domestic partner qualifies
  • demonstrate that they share residence with you and have done so continuously for the past 12 months
  • not be legally married to or separated from anyone else
  • not be a close blood relative
  • be at least 18 years old
  • meet certain tests demonstrating financial interdependency
Determine if the children of your domestic partner qualifies
  • biological children
  • legally adopted children
  • children placed for adoption
  • children under legal guardianship substantiated by a court order
  • foster children
  • children who are entitled to coverage under a medical support order  

Enrollment Options

The university offers the following domestic partner health care options 

Same sex 
domestic partner coverage
Opposite sex 
domestic partner coverage
  • State of Arizona Plans     
  • Delta Dental
  • Total Dental
  • Delta Dental
  • Total Dental
  • Avesis
  • Avesis

Tax considerations

Your domestic partner dependent(s) do not need to qualify as a tax dependent to qualify for health care coverage.  However, if your domestic partner dependent(s) do not qualify as a tax dependent(s), you may be taxed on any additional employer's contribution toward that coverage.

The Worksheet for Determining Support can assist you in determining your domestic partner dependent(s) qualify as a tax dependent, but we recommend you also consult with a tax advisor to be sure you are clear on the tax implications for your individual situation.

Enrollment Process

To enroll your domestic partner you must complete, sign and return the following  to Human Resources:

  • Domestic Partner Affidavit
  • Enrollment Form
  • Tax Declaration
opposite sex enrollment forms 

same sex enrollment forms

To enroll the children of your domestic partner you must also complete a Domestic Partner’s Child Declaration of Tax Status form for each child.

Once all forms and documentation are received and approved, then the HR Benefits team will process your enrollment.