Eligibility and Enrollment
You are eligible for benefits if you:
- are employed at least 20 hours per week
- are expected to be employed in a position for 90 days or longer
- Graduate assistants are not eligible for voluntary benefits.
What if I do not work in a benefit eligible job?
You have 31 days from your date of hire to make your benefit elections for your optional benefits.
- Your benefits will be effective the first of the pay period following your completed enrollment.
- If you don't enroll within the 31 days, your benefits will be waived and you will have to wait until the next open enrollment period in the fall.
- Enrollment includes submitting all required forms and supporting documentation and completing the on-line enrollment.
Learn how to enroll in your voluntary benefits.
You can enroll your eligible dependents in medical dental and vision coverage.Spouse
A spouse as designated by a legally valid existing marriage certificate acknowledged by the State of Arizona.Children
Biological children, legally adopted children, step-children, children placed for adoption, children under legal guardianship substantiated by a court order, foster children, children who are entitled to coverage under a medical support order, and disabled dependent children over age 26 are eligible.
Children are eligible for dependent coverage until their 26th birthday regardless of employment, marital, school enrollment, or other status.
Change in dependent eligibility
If you have a dependent who becomes ineligible, you must remove them from your plan. If the loss of coverage is due to a qualified life event, you need submit the change within 31 days of the event.
Please Note: NAU reserves the right to verify dependent eligibility or to change employee and dependent eligibility requirements.