Learn about tobacco
Some fast facts about tobacco use:
- Somewhere between 1-2 million current college students are expected to die prematurely due to tobacco use unless current usage is reduced.
- Smokers die approximately 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.
- The tobacco industry spent approximately $8.37 BILLION dollars on advertising in 2011. Most of that was targeting young people between the ages of 18-25.
- The majority of adult smokers would like to quit their habit.
- Using tobacco speeds up the aging process and produces unwanted wrinkles.
- Some employers are now choosing to hire only non-smokers.
- Under the new Affordable Care Act, insurance companies could charge tobacco users up to 50% more than non-tobacco users.
- 99% of adult smokers started before the age of 26.
What's happening at NAU?
- A survey was conducted during the 2012-2013 school year to assess student and staff attitudes toward adoption of a tobacco free or smoke free policy.
- 75% reported being concerned about second hand smoke exposure on campus.
- 73% feel that incorrect disposal of smoking materials is a problem around campus.
- 65% support a policy to make NAU a smoke-free campus.
- 58% support a policy to make NAU a tobacco free campus.
What is NAU doing to support tobacco users?
- The student health insurance plan covers nicotine replacement therapies as well as prescription drugs that have been demonstrated to help people quit tobacco for good!
- The Pharmacy in Campus Health sells nicotine replacement gum and patches.
- Health Promotion offers in person tobacco cessation services for students who would like to quit.
- Medical Services assesses tobacco use and makes referrals to the ASHLine if students are ready to kick the habit.
Ready to quit? Let's clear the air!
Contact Health Promotion at (928) 523-6867
Access FREE quit help anywhere in Arizona at the ASHline