Admissions for International Graduate Students
To qualify for admission as a graduate student, students must
have a four-year United States bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, and must
meet the admission requirements of the academic program to which they apply.
Students should begin the application process six to twelve
months prior to expected enrollment to allow time for the exchange of
correspondence, evaluation of all required documents, financial matters, visa,
and travel arrangements.
Most graduate departments have application deadlines.
If the department has no deadline, the application and all supporting documentation are due no later than March
1st for fall admission and October 1st for spring admission. All materials
submitted for admission must be complete at least three months before
If you intend to
study on NAU's main campus, you must be enrolled for 9 hours of coursework
each fall and spring term. Of these 9 hours, 6 hours must be in face-to-face
courses and only 3 hours can be online coursework in a term.
If you intend to enroll in an online program that you will pursue from your
home country, the above requirements do not apply.
Program Availability for Students on F-1 or J-1 Visas
Flagstaff Mountain Campus
International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa may NOT apply to the following programs on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus:
- Early Childhood Education (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Community College (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Educational Foundations (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Principal K-12 (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - School Leadership (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Elementary Education - Continuing Professional (Flagstaff Mountain) Master of Education
- Non-Degree Seeking
International students on an F-1 visa may apply to the following programs at the Yuma Campus:
- Special Education (Yuma) Master of Education
- Special Education - Cross-Categorical Certified (Yuma) Master of Education
- Bilingual and Multicultural Education - Bilingual (Yuma) Master of Education
- Bilingual and Multicultural Education - ESL (Yuma) Master of Education
International students may apply to an online program if they are pursuing the degree from their home country.
Programs NOT available to International Students
The Physician Assistant Program (PA) and the Occupational Therapy Program (OT) are not available to international graduate students.