Federal Work Study (FWS)
Federal Work Study program is a federally funded program that assists both
undergraduate and graduate students who have financial need with the costs of
postsecondary education. FWS helps students earn financial funding
through a part-time work program.
qualify, you must:
a US citizen or a US National or a Permanent Resident who has an Alien
as a full time student:
= 12 hours
= 9 hours
- work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session
Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree, as defined by the Office of
Student Financial Aid
There are a variety of non-profit organizations and community
agencies eager to hire students.
Through a partnership with NAU the following are able to hire NAU students who have been offered FWS funding:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Literacy Volunteers of Coconino County
- the Museum of Northern Arizona
- US Forest Service
- Coconino County Courts System
The College of Education’s America Reads Program is another
great FWS program for student employees.
If you are offered FWS:
- notify your supervisor or potential supervisor of your FWS eligibility so they may complete the FWS student employee hiring process
Use the Federal Work Study Calculator to estimate your possible earnings.