Please read before filling out application
The following instructions are critical to successfully completing the scholarship application. Once you have read the information below, click the button at the bottom of the page to proceed to the application.
Scholarship Application steps and instructions:
Step 01: Student Data
This is basic information about you that will automatically populate based on the information you have provided to the Registrar's Office and on your Financial Aid form. You are responsible for reviewing this information to be sure it is correct.
If you notice any incorrect or blank fields, please log on to LOUIE and make changes/corrections. If you see information that cannot be changed via LOUIE, please contact us at COEScholarship.Dev@nau.edu
Step 02: Additional Data Required
This step contains some additional questions relevant to the scholarship application that you are required to answer.
Step 03: Written Portion
We suggest you create and save your information in a Word document before opening the application and then cut and paste into the on-line application.
- Honors and Awards: List any honors or awards you have received with date received. (For example: Dean’s List, National Honor Society, etc.)
- Extracurricular Activities: Report any relevant activities, including organizational membership with dates active. (For example: High school and college clubs, organizations and offices held, sports, cheer, choir, band, etc.)
- Volunteer Activities / Community Service with dates active. (For example: Church or other religious affiliation activities, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, youth groups, coaching, etc.)
- Employment: Please include name of employer, job title, responsibilities, length of employment, indicate whether full time or part time.
- Student Letter: This student letter is a critical component of your application. Your letter should include the following information:
- Explain why you are attending college.
- Describe your career goals and aspirations.
- Describe how a monetary award for college expenses will help you attain your goals.
- Provide other pertinent information related to specific scholarship criteria.
- You are not applying for a specific scholarship, however; if you have particular circumstances that qualify you for a scholarship (such as graduation from a particular high school, plans to student teach in a certain geographic area, or are a member of a particular tribe) this would be very helpful information to include in your letter. Please be aware that if your letter is not well written, includes spelling and/or grammatical errors, or lacks substance the review of your application will be negatively impacted. It is expected that you will provide a professional, well written letter that is approximately one page in length (450 words minimum/500 words maximum).
- Copying and pasting your “Why I want to be a teacher” letter from a PEU admission application would not meet the criteria for this letter.
- IMPORTANT Scholarships are awarded anonymously - DO NOT sign your letter
Step 04: Review and Verify
At this point you will be able to see the state of your whole application. Please review your application very carefully. If you notice any incorrect or blank fields, you can return to that portion of the application and make any changes you like. If your application looks complete and correct, you will verify this and move onto the next step. If you are unable to submit, this means that you have incomplete fields somewhere in the application.
Step 05: Submit and Confirmation
This is the point where you actually submit your application. Applications that have been submitted cannot be changed. Once you have submitted your application successfully you will receive an email confirmation stating that your application has been received. It is your responsibility to save this confirmation email.
Don't Forget Your FAFSA!
Several COE scholarships are awarded based on financial need. To be considered for these need based scholarships you must have completed your FAFSA prior to the College of Education scholarship application submission deadline.
Want to Submit a More Successful Application?
Members of the COE Scholarship Committee will be hosting an on-line workshop and two Flagstaff Campus workshops to assist with completing your application. These workshops will be held the second week of January. This forum will provide students an opportunity to ask questions and get valuable advice on how to submit a winning scholarship application.
Check back for exact date and times.
For one-on-one mentoring, please email Laura.Theimer@nau.edu.
By asking to be considered for COE scholarships you are giving your consent for NAU to release your personal information to donors who will be considering you for scholarships. This includes, but is not limited to, your application information (resume, letter, etc.) GPA, year in school, financial need, major, etc. Also, should you be selected to receive a scholarship, the donor may request updates of your progress at NAU including GPA, classes taken, financial need, etc. Only donors seriously considering you for scholarships and approved by the NAU Scholarship Office may have access to this information and no information will be provided to any other outside sources.
By Clicking the button below you confirm that you have read and understand the above information.