Educational Leadership, Master of Education
This degree will prepare you to take a leadership position
in an educational setting, but may also be appropriate for individuals looking
to assume leadership positions in other professions.
Specialize in one of four areas
1. Instructional Leadership K-12 School Leadership, MEd
This emphasis is designed to help you prepare to serve in a leadership position at the K-12 level, which does not necessarily require state administrator certification.Read more
Such positions may include:
- teachers serving as a department chair of an
- leading curriculum initiatives
- working with school and community programs
2. Principal Certification K-12, MEd
This emphasis is designed to prepare you to serve as a school principal at the K-12 level. The School Administration Principal K-12 emphasis requires 36 hours of coursework as follows:
Foundations, MEdRead more
This emphasis is designed to prepare you to:
- teach education courses to undergraduates at the
- establish a foundational background to become a
K-12 educational consultant
- administer a charter school
- pursue a doctorate degree and then teach at a
higher institution in the Foundations area
College/Higher Education, MEd
This new degree prepares individuals to work in a rapidly changing market and focuses on leadership in community colleges; colleges; universities; and businesses/industries, governmental agencies, and private organizations with educational objectives and direction.
For more in-depth information on this degree please visit the CCHE information page.
To be admitted, you must complete all of
the application steps below:
- Complete the Graduate College admission application, either paper copy or online, and submit the necessary fees and documents to the address listed on the form.
- If you apply to the Graduate College online, our department will receive a copy of your program application. If you apply to the Graduate College using a paper form, you must also submit the program application to your adviser in paper form; your adviser should forward a copy to the EDL department office.
- Meet with an adviser to establish a Program of Study (POS); your adviser will then submit a copy to the EDL department office in Mesa.
- Copies of all admission paperwork, including a fully signed POS, must arrive in the EDL office in Mesa before you register for your second semester of EDL classes.
Programs of Study
Below is a list of downloadable Programs of Study. Each includes complete set of courses and other work that must be successfully completed before qualifying for a degree, diploma, or certificate.
Academic Catalog Listing
See the NAU Academic Catalog for official details on this degree, including:
- Career opportunities for graduates with this degree
- Admission requirements
- Course listing
- Campuses that offer this degree
- Educational Leadership - Instructional Leadership K-12 School Leadership, Master of Education
- Educational Leadership – Principal Certification K-12, Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Educational Foundations, Master of Education
- Educational Leadership - Community College/Higher Education, Master of Education