HIPAA TEST QUESTIONS
1. Does protected health information include the patient’s name, address, and basic demographic information?
2. Do privacy protections apply to both information recorded on paper and information stored electronically?
3. Can a family member or close personal friend act as the representative of the patient?
4. Is a business associate contract required only for those business associates who create or process protected health information?
5. Are there any limits on the use or disclosure of patient information for the purpose of treatment?
6. Does a patient have to authorize the disclosure of information to a health plan?
7. Does a patient have to authorize disclosure of information to law enforcement agencies?
8. Does HIPAA prevent us from complying with state-mandated disease reporting, e.g., for infectious diseases?
9. Can we use patient information for any purpose without obtaining the patient’s authorization?
10. Does a patient have to be given a Notice prior to treatment?
11. Does a patient have to be given a Notice on each visit?
12. Does the patient have to sign the acknowledgement of the Notice?
13. Do staff have to document a patient’s inability or refusal to sign an acknowledgement of the Notice?
14. Can a patient restrict use and disclosure of protected health information?
15. Is an authorization needed if a patient has signed a consent to participate in a research program?
16. Does an authorization have to specify the information to be disclosed and the purpose of the disclosure?
17. Does an authorization have to identify who will use or receive the information?
18. Does a patient have to authorize disclosure of a camp or school physical?
19. Can a patient be denied care if he or she doesn’t authorize use or disclosure of information in a research study?
20. Does a patient have to authorize disclosure of information to a spouse?
21. Do all uses and disclosures have to be included in an accounting?
22. Do disclosures to health plans have to be included in an accounting?
23. Do authorized disclosures have to be included in an accounting?
24. Do disclosures to police and law enforcement agencies have to be included in an accounting?
25. Do disclosures to business associates have to be included in an accounting?
26. Can a patient examine his or her medical information?
27. Can a patient obtain a copy of information in his or her medical chart?
28. Do patients have to request information from their records in writing?
29. Can patients change information in their medical records?
30. Do corrections in patient information have to be transmitted to prior recipients of that incorrect information?
31. Is the accidental destruction of information a security problem?
32. Should people ever let others use their computer ID or password?
33. Should anti-virus software ever be turned off?
34. Is failure to follow policies and procedures that safeguard security of information a leading cause of security breaches?