MS in Climate Science and Solutions
The MS in Climate Science and Solutions offers an interdisciplinary approach to address the societally relevant issues related to global climate change—giving you a distinct advantage in a world that is facing a shortage of qualified climate change professionals.
MS in Environmental Sciences and Policy
The MS in Environmental Sciences and Policy offers the opportunity to apply a scientific understanding of the environment to inform policy decisions. An emphasis in paleoenvironmental sciences draws from several disciplines to develop broad competence in earth and environmental sciences, while specializing in an analytical technique used to reconstruct long-term environmental variability.
MS in Geology
About 90% of past students with MS Geology degrees from NAU are employed in these areas:
- environmental & engineering consulting industry
- energy industry
- teaching and related jobs
- Federal and State agencies
The MS in Geology offers the opportunity to research
- sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks
- stratigraphy, structure, and volcanology
- surficial processes
- water resources
View a list of complete theses from the geology faculty and students.
PhD in Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability
The PhD in Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability offers three different emphases that all focus on research and educational opportunities Earth and planetary systems, climate and landscape change, and engineering sustainable systems.
How to apply
Entry into the Master's Program requires an online application through the Graduate College.
To apply for the Master's Program, a student must have an accredited bachelor's degree. General requirements for admission to the Graduate College are available in the Graduate Catalog.
A completed application for admission will include:
- An online APPLICATION for admission to the NAU Graduate College, with the required application fee
- TRANSCRIPTS of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- Three LETTERS of recommendation from academic or professional supervisors (download the referee form from the online application)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) SCORES (the general test only; the advanced subject test is optional and neither test is required for the Climate Science and Solutions Program)
- A STATEMENT of your interests in and goals for a M.S. program, and your reasons for pursuing an advanced degree
A potential faculty adviser must be identified by the applicant before application to the program. This advisor will assist you in developing your program of study.