Northern Arizona University
William Grabe, Ph.D., (University of Southern California)
Regents' Professor - English Department, Northern Arizona University
1984 - Ph.D. Linguistics, University of Southern California, L.A.
Fields of Specialization
- Written discourse analysis
- Acquisition of reading and writing
- Teacher training
- Reading assessment. (with X. Jiang). In A. Kunnan (Ed.), Companion to language assessment. Malden, MA: Blackwell. To appear.
- Second language reading – writing relations. (with C. Zhang). In A. Horning and B. Kraemer (Eds.), Reconnecting reading and writing. New York: Bedford/St Martins. To appear.
- Skills and strategies in foreign language reading. (with X. Jiang). In Y. Ruiz de Zarobe & L. Ruiz de Zarobe (Eds.), Reading in a foreign language. Bilbao: Portal Editions. To appear.
- EAP reading instruction: Guidelines for the ESL/EFL teacher. (with F. Stoller). In M. Celce-Murcia & D. Brinton (Eds.), Methods in teaching English as a second or foreign language. 4th ed. Boston: Heinle & Heinle. To appear.
- Responding to writing (with R. Kaplan). In P. Hedge, N. Andon & M. Dewey (Eds.), English Language Teaching: Major Themes in Education. 6 Vols. New York: Routledge. To appear.
- Teaching and researching reading. (with F. Stoller) (2nd ed.). New York: Longman. 2011.
- Handbook articles: A defense of the synthesis article. Modern Language Journal, 95(4). 2011.
- The percentage of words known in a text and reading comprehension. (with N. Schmitt, and X. Jiang) Modern Language Journal, 95, 26-43, 2011.
- Revising the MLA Report on reconfiguring foreign language programs: The role of reading. Reading in a Foreign language, 22, (Supplement 1), 11-14. 2010.
- Fluency in Reading—Thirty-Five Years Later. Reading in a Foreign Language, 22. 2010.
- Issues in L2 Reading Research and Instruction. JACET Journal, 50, 1-7. 2010.
- Teaching the written foreign language. (with F. Stoller). In K. Knapp & B. Seidlhofer (Eds.), Handbook of Applied Linguistics. Vol 6. Foreign language communication and learning. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. 439-463. 2009.
- Teaching and testing reading comprehension. In M. Long and C. Doughty (Eds.), Handbook of second and foreign language teaching. Malden, MA: Blackwell. 441-462. 2009.
- Building reading abilities with graphic organizers. (with X. Jiang). In R. Cohen (Ed.), Teaching reading. Alexandria, VA: TESOL. 25-42. 2009.
- Reading in a second language: Moving from theory to practice. New York: Cambridge University Press. 2009.
- Reflections on second language reading: Research and instruction. In Z-H. Han & N. Anderson (Eds.), Second language reading: Research and instruction. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press. 192-205. 2009.