Blg 23 Rm #320
Northern Arizona University
Joan Jamieson, Ph.D. (University of Illinois, Urbana, 1986)
Professor, Applied Linguistics
- Second Language Testing
- Research Design and Statistics for
- Technology and Second Language
Learning, Teaching, & Testing
- Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, 1986. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- M.A. in Linguistics, 1977. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- B.A. in English, 1975. University of Dayton, Dayton, OH
- Professor, Department of English, Northern Arizona University, 1999-present
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Education: Educational Assessment, Evaluation, Research, 2006-2011
- Visiting Scholar, Dep't. of Psychological and
Quantitative Foundations, University of Iowa, 2002 - 2003
- Visiting Scholar, Educational Testing Service,
Princeton, NJ, 1995-1996
Selected Publications / Computerized Assessments
- Jamieson, J., Wang, L.,
& Church, J. 2013. In-house or
commercial speaking tests: Considering strengths for EAP placement. Journal of English for Academic Purposes,
- Jamieson, J. 2013. Defining
constructs and assessment design. In A. Kunnan (Ed.), Companion to assessment. London: Blackwell.
J., & Poonpon, K. 2013. Refining TOEFL iBT’s integrated speaking scoring
rubric for instructional feedback and rater training. (TOEFL Research Report
RR-13-13). Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service.
J., & McDonough, K. (Eds). 2013. Quantitative and mixed-methods
section (56 entries). In C. Chapelle (Ed.), Encyclopedia of applied linguistics. London: Blackwell.
- Jamieson, J. 2011.
Achievement testing. In E. Hinkel, (Ed.), Handbook of research in second language learning and teaching.
New York: Routledge/Taylor and
- Jamieson, J., & Chapelle, C. 2010. Evaluating
CALL use across multiple contexts System, 38, 357-369.
- Chapelle, C., Enright, M.,
& Jamieson, J. 2010. Does an argument-based approach to validity make
a difference? Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 29, 1, 3-13.
- Chapelle, C., Enright, M., & Jamieson, J.
(Eds.) 2008. Building a validity argument for TOEFL. New
York: Routledge/Taylor and Francis Group.
- Chapelle, C., & Jamieson, J. 2008. Tips
for teachers: Computer-assisted language learning. New
York: Pearson Longman.
- Jamieson, J., C. Chapelle, & D. Douglas. 2002.
Talking Business Assessments. New York: Pearson Education.
- Jamieson, J., Chapelle, C., Grant, L.,
Asencion, Y., & Garcia, P. 2002. Longman English Interactive Assessments. New York: Pearson Education.
J. & May, N. 2014. Outcomes-based assessment for learning in an EAP
program. Midwest Association of Language Testers, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Jamieson, J., Church, J., & Laird, J. 2011. Issues
developing a semi-adaptive English placement test. Midwest Association of
Language Testers, Ames, IA.
- Jamieson, J., & Poonpon, K. 2010. Rating guide
development for speaking's dimensions: Delivery, language use, topic
development. Poster session, Language Testing Research Colloquium,
J. 2009. What makes a test academic? How TOEFL stacks up. TESOL, Denver, CO.
- Jamieson, J. 2008. Integrating CALL into
the Curriculum. MICELT, Sengalor, Malaysia.
- Jamieson, J., Keck, C., Vasquez, C., & Komiyama, R.
2005. Developing scholar-teachers in applied linguistics doctoral
education. AILA, Madison, WI.