- Ph.D. 1984 Univ. of Southern California: Linguistics
- Ph.D. 2000 Honorary degree; Univ. of Uppsala, Sweden
- Northern Arizona University
- Applied Linguistics Program
- Regents' Professor since 2000
Asst. Professor, Department of Linguistics, University of Southern California
Visiting Professor/Researcher Appointments
- Lancaster University, England
- University of Tampere, Finland
- Victoria University Wellington, New Zealand
- Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Freiburg, Germany
- University of Copenhagen
- Temple University Japan
- Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (Chile)
- University of Hamburg
- University of Zurich
- University of Helsinki
- University of Uppsala
- Norwegian Academy of Arts and Sciences
- University of Bergen
- University of Stockholm
- Biber, D., and R. Reppen (eds.). 2015. Handbook of Corpus Linguistics.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Biber, D., and R. Reppen (eds.). 2011. Corpus Linguistics; Volumes I-IV. London: Sage.
- Volume One: Lexical Studies.
- Volume Two: Grammar.
- Volume Three: Varieties.
- Volume Four: Methods and Applications.
- Biber, D., and S. Conrad. 2009. Register, genre, and style. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Biber, D., U. Connor, and T.A. Upton. 2007. Discourse on the move: Using corpus analysis to describe discourse structure. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Biber, D. 2006. University language: A corpus-based study of spoken and written registers. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Biber, D., S. Conrad, and G. Leech. 2002. The Longman student grammar of spoken and written English. London: Longman.
- Conrad, S., and D. Biber (eds.). 2001. Variation in English: Multi-dimensional studies. London: Longman.
- Biber, D., S. Johansson, G. Leech, S. Conrad, E. Finegan. 1999. The Longman grammar of spoken and written English. London: Longman.
- Biber, D., S. Conrad, and R. Reppen. 1998. Corpus Linguistics: Investigating Language Structure and Use. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Biber, D. 1995. Dimensions of register variation: A cross-linguistic comparison . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Biber, D., and E. Finegan (eds.). 1994. Sociolinguistic perspectives on register. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Biber, D. 1988. Variation across speech and writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Refereed Journal Articles since 2004
- Biber, D., and Bethany Gray. 2013. Being specific about historical change: The influence of sub-register. Journal of English Linguistics 41.104-134.
- Staples, S., J. Egbert, D. Biber, and A. McClair. 2013. Formulaic Sequences and EAP Writing Development: Lexical Bundles in the TOEFL iBT Writing Section. Journal of English for Academic Purposes 12.214-225.
- Gray, B., and D. Biber. 2013. Lexical Frames in Academic Prose and Conversation. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 18.109–135.
- Biber, D., Bethany Gray, Kornwipa Poonpon. 2013. Pay attention to the phrasal structures: Going beyond T-units. TESOL Quarterly 47.192-201.
- Biber, D. 2012. Register as a predictor of linguistic variation. Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory 8.9-37.
- Biber, D., and Bethany Gray. 2011. Grammar emerging in the noun phrase: The influence of written language use. English Language and Linguistics 15.223-250.
- Biber, D., Bethany Gray, Kornwipa Poonpon. 2011. Should we use characteristics of conversation to measure grammatical complexity in L2 writing development? TESOL Quarterly 45.5-35.
- Biber, D. 2011. Corpus linguistics and the study of literature: Back to the future? Scientific Study of Literature 1.15–23.
- Biber, D., and Bethany Gray. 2010. Challenging stereotypes about academic writing: Complexity, elaboration, explicitness. Journal of English for Academic Purposes 9.2-20.
- Biber, D. 2009. A corpus-driven approach to formulaic language: Multi-word patterns in speech and writing. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 14.381-417.
- Biber, D., and F. Barbieri. 2007. Lexical bundles in university spoken and written registers. English for Specific Purposes 26.263-86.
- Biber, D. 2006. Stance in spoken and written university registers. Journal of English for Academic Purposes 5.97-116.
- Biber, D., M. Davies, J. K. Jones, and N. Tracy-Ventura. 2006. Spoken and written register variation in Spanish: A multi-dimensional analysis. Corpora 1.7-38.
- Biber, D., and J.K. Jones. 2005. Merging corpus linguistic and discourse analytic research goals: Discourse units in biology research articles. Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory 1.151-182.
- Biber, D., S. Conrad, and V. Cortes. 2004. If you look at…: Lexical bundles in university teaching and textbooks. Applied Linguistics 25.371-405.
- Biber, D. 2004. Historical patterns for the grammatical marking of stance: A cross-register comparison. Journal of Historical Pragmatics 5.107-135.
Earlier research articles in refereed journals
- Applied Linguistics (1994)
- TESOL Quarterly (2001, 2002, 2003)
- Studies in Second Language Acquisition (2002)
- Journal of Child Language (2002)
- Journal of English Linguistics (2000)
- Discourse Studies (1999)
- International Journal of Corpus Linguistics (1996)
- Text (1995, 1991, 1989)
- Literary and Linguistic Computing (1993, 1990)
- Computational Linguistics (1993a, 1993b)
- Computers and the Humanities (1993)
- Language Variation and Change (1992)
- Discourse Processes (1992, 1988)
- Linguistics (1989, 1985)
- Language (1989, 1986)
- American Speech (1987)