How to Apply: MA General English Emphasis
Listed below is an application checklist listing all of the requirements and/or forms that need to be completed. There are three sections; only the graduate school section and the general MA in english section are required. The third section, graduate assistantship application section, details information for those who wish to pursue a graduate assistantship.
Applications are reviewed year round for program admission; however, there are application deadlines for each semester:
Fall: April 15 (February 1st is recommended if you wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship or tuition waiver, available only to Flagstaff Mountain Students. Online students may apply for tuition waivers through Extended Campuses.)
Spring: November 15
Summer: February 15
Graduate School Application (required)
Apply online here.
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Official Transcripts
- TOEFL Score (International Students)
- A letter of intent. This is a statement about yourself, your interest in English as a subject, and your possible career aspirations. You can mention courses from our catalog that interest you.
- A formal sample of your writing of at least 5 to 10 pages in length. That writing sample can be a term paper from your time as an undergraduate or a piece of writing that you have done while in the world of work.
- Three letters of recommendation. Professors you had in undergraduate courses make good recommenders, but, if you have been away from higher education for a time, then you might want to ask a colleague at work or a supervisor to write a letter of recommendation.
(Students with less than 12 hours of coursework in English may be assigned provisional status.)
Graduate Teaching Assistantship Application
Students may apply for the graduate teaching assistantships through the online application. If you are a returning student, click here for application materials.