Transfer Students

Transfer students are considered as high school graduates who have enrolled at a college, university or any other school since graduating from high school and have earned at least 12 college credits. If you have graduated from high school and have earned less than 12 college credit hours, please complete the freshman application.

Your application is considered complete and a decision will be made when we receive:

  • official transcripts from all colleges attended, submitted directly from those institutions (note: opened transcripts or transcripts issued to students are not acceptable) 
  • a $25 non-refundable application fee 
  • if you are younger than 22, provide a final high school transcript or GED scores, unless you have earned an associate's degree.

  • If you are 22 or older, provide a posted high school degree or equivalent, or demonstrate the completion of a minimum of 12 transferrable college credits. At least six of those credits should be from academic subjects requiring college-level skill in reading, writing and/or analysis.

Students applying to NAU’s Personalized Learning program who are 22 or older must pass a readiness assessment and provide official copies of transcripts for all college-level coursework.

A posted high school degree may be required to determine eligibility for financial aid.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation will evaluate transcripts to determine the number of transfer credits accepted.

Northern Arizona University will accept college-level transfer coursework with grades of C or better or P from an institution that is accredited by one of the following:

  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities 
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • The Higher Learning Commission
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

You will be offered admission if you have earned a minimum of 35 credits and the AGEC or the California IGETC with a cumulative GPA of 2.5, or you have earned an associate’s degree with a cumulative GPA of 2.0.

You will be considered for admission if you have a 2.0 or higher overall college GPA (on a 4.0 scale) and at least 24 transferable academic college credits